So…I haven’t posted in a while, as Mr Gallivant and I have been working on our new baby…no, not that kind of baby! Our own little travel project – a holiday let – has been way more time consuming than anticipated but it’s finally finished and here it is – ta da!
It’s a bolthole for two (the perfect place to escape your brood for a few days?) just over an hour outside London and in a beautiful part of the Kent Weald.
I’ve tried to use my experience as a travel writer to create something a little bit special. I have been to a LOT of self catering properties over the years and have figured out the things that make a difference, like…
* Amazing bed linen – I have blown a small fortune on the very best silky Egyptian cotton stuff alongside the softest bed topper and a light as air goose down duvet and pillows. Mr Gallivant had palpitations when I told him just how much it all cost, but hey, he’ll get over it!
* A woodburner – There’s nothing that says cosy and makes you feel at home more instantly than a fire.
* Fluffiness – fluffy rugs, fluffy cushions, fluffy robes, fluffy slippers….
* Constant hot water – you probably won’t be having a shower at 3 in the morning, but it’s nice to know that if you want to, you jolly well can.
* Yummy toiletries – I personally hate those fiddly little bottles you get in hotels (very environmentally unfriendly too). We provide the rather glorious Aromatherapy Associates bodywash, shampoo and conditioner.
* A firepit/BBQ – So guests can sit outside whatever the weather, toast marshmallows, stargaze…
* A lawn – none of your tiddly little patio gardens here. There’s a proper bit of grass to laze around on, plus access to a paddock if you fancy stretching your legs.
* A cupboard full of games and books – just in case the weather sucks, which it does occasionally.
* Sharp knives – I’ve been to some of the smartest places and spent way too much time hacking at a loaf of bread with something no sharper than a spoon.
* Wonderful sightseeing – OK, well I can’t claim credit for actually providing that, but there really is a lot to see around here, including world famous gardens, castles, vineyards, big sandy beaches…
* Exercise on tap – If self guided shlepping around the local fields and footpaths isn’t enough, then sign up with Mr Gallivant. He runs Nordic Walking classes locally (read more here www.nordicwalkingkent.co.uk ) and is more than happy to teach guests on a private basis. He also can teach Pilates and offer rehab and remedial massage for dodgy backs, knees, shoulders…all in a studio right next to the holiday let. So you really can go home a relaxed new you!
If you’re interested in visiting, or know anyone who might be, send ’em on over! You can book it at www.homeaway.co.uk/p8092314